Monday, October 22, 2007

Improve Your Gas Mileage Today With These 5 Simple Steps


We Americans are funny people. We complain loudly and often about increasingly expensive gas prices, yet are not very willing to alter our driving habits in any way to offset these increased costs. I'm not pointing fingers; I used to be the same way. Then I moved to Florida, where I have a commute that is 32 miles instead of 11, and I immediately noticed that my tank of gas was barely lasting a work week, instead of three. Our new financial picture, much tightened by the purchase of a bigger home in a better neighborhood, gave me further reason to find ways to save money. Not surprisingly, I soon started looking to save money at the pumps. I did a little research online and implemented a few changes, which I've listed below. Here's the good news: Despite higher gas prices and a longer commute, I use less gas than ever, and it WASN'T PAINFUL for me to do. And if I can do it . . .
Before I begin, let me put a different spin on a popular misconception around improving mileage. You DO NOT improve your gas mileage enough by turning off your A/C to warrant the discomfort. I've tried this with both my cars and didn't notice any difference in mileage. The Discovery Channel program, "Mythbusters", ran a similar test and found a neglible difference. Use the air conditioner, sweat less, smell better, and have yourself a good day. There are better ways to save on gas. Here's what you can do today:


1. Avoid the rush hour by adjusting your commute time by 30 minutes.
Cost=Free, Time invested=zero


If your work schedule allows it, try leaving your house a half-hour early in the morning and then leaving work a half-hour early as well. Rush hour traffic and the frequent stabs at the gas pedal, then brake pedal then gas pedal are not only bad on your car, but bad on your mileage as well. It doesn't do any favors for your mood either. I made this adjustment myself and its made all the difference. Now I'm pulling into the office right about the time the traffic is starting to get thick, and have the results on the way home.


2. Use the Cruise Control!
Cost=Free, Time Invested=3-5 seconds


I bet I know why you're not using the cruise control on your commute. I bet it's because you spend half your time in stop and go traffic, during which time you become a little frustrated so that when traffic finally thins and you're able to get up to a proper speed, you've forgotten about the cruise control and spend the rest of your commute filling the rear view mirror of the car in front of you. How do I know this? Because I used to be the guy filling YOUR rear view mirror. Sorry about that. Combine this step with Step #1 and watch your mileage skyrocket and your heart rate plummet.


3. Are your tires properly inflated? Under-inflated tires are a drag on mileage.
Cost=Free, Time invested=5 mins.


These days tires are so darn reliable that it's all too easy to forget about them. The next time you fill up your car, take 5 minutes and check the air pressure. Many gas stations have free air, and if yours doesn't then find a new gas station. They'll also have a tire pressure gauge at the counter if you ask. For you big huge truck driving dudes with the jumbo tires, this can save you as much as 25% in gas mileage (driving a Honda to work instead of your lifted F-350 is an even better way to save on gas, but that's a topic for another day). Checking tire pressure is just good safety sense as well.


4. Catch a ride to work one or two days a week.
Cost=Free, Time Invested=minimal


Several of my coworkers live in the same neighborhood as I do, but I initially resisted the idea of carpooling, fearing I'd be giving up my freedom to come and go as I please at work. One particularly proactive neighbor set up a couple different schedules for carpooling, one leaving earlier than the other each day, giving us more choices for coming and going. I joined the carpool and now I only drive one or two days a week. As a result, I only have to fill up my car once every three weeks. Believe me, the savings are more than worth the couple of extra minutes of accommodating fellow carpoolers. Plus I have more time to read my car magazines.


5. Is your car current on its maintenance?

Cost=minimal, Time Invested=1-2 hours


You do-it-yourself-ers should know that a car performs best when things like air filters, fuel filters, oil and oil filters, O2 sensors and PCV valves are all in good working order. All of these things are readily available at your nearest auto parts stores, and are all inexpensive. For you folks that have your car serviced by someone else, make sure you're current. In many cases you're actually paying more in gas costs than you're saving by NOT having your car properly maintained.


Bottom Line: I'm no Prius driving, hemp-wearing hippie hugger, but by implementing these changes I've been able to save roughly $100 per month on gas. For the gas that I am using, I'm averaging about 30mpg, and this in a car that's 17 years old and has 189,000 miles on it. My motivations are primarily monetary, but it does feel nice to know I've lessened my own contributions to pollution, and this has resulted in my looking for other ways to save money and do more with less. That's a step in the right direction for all of us, don't you think?


Try these things, make your dollars go further and your mood much brighter, and give us a wave when you see us on the road. Happy Driving!

No comments: